Italian Language/translation

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if I have correctly translated the following sentence:

“Ho fatto amicizia con una signora americana.”
I have made friends with an American lady.

I wanted to make sure that I am correct to translate “signora” as “lady”.

I also wanted to make sure that I am correct in thinking that “fare amicizia con” is an idiomatic expression that means “to make friends with”.  

Can you also please tell me if it is possible to use the idiomatic expression - “farsi degli amici” (to make friends) in this sentence.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the sentence “Ho fatto amicizia con una signora americana” (I have made friends with an American lady) is correct.

As for “fare amicizia con”, it  is exactly an idiomatic expression that means “to make friends with”, while  the idiomatic Italian expression “farsi degli amici” (to make friends)  cannot be used in the above mentioned sentence, but in phrases like the following:”Per lui era difficile farsi degli amici”(It was hard for him to make friends) ; “Si fece subito degli amici perché riusciva simpatico a tutti”; “In campeggio potrai  certamente farti degli amici”; etc.

Kind regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria