Italian Language/verb tense

Dear Maria,

I just wanted to make sure that “apprezzare” is used in the correct tense  in the following sentence:

Apprezzo moltissimo tutto quello che fai per aiutarmi.

Can you please tell me if the use of the present indicative  is correct, or should I have used the subjunctive?

Thank you very, very much.

Sincerely,  Rich

Dear Rich,

the use of  the  present indicative “apprezzo”  in  the sentence “Apprezzo moltissimo tutto quello che fai per aiutarmi” is correct, whereas the subjunctive would have been  wrong in this context where the indicative of the main clause “Apprezzo moltissimo tutto”  states a  fact as the indicative mood is used exactly for factual statements and positive beliefs.

On the contrary the subjunctive is used to express things that are not facts, but possibilities, suggestions  as in e.g. “Penso che tu debba studiare di piů” where the present subjunctive “debba” denotes a possibility/suggestion.

All the best,

P.S. Note that instead of “Molte gracie per il tuo aiuto con questa domanda”- that you wrote in one of your kind ratings- you should have written ”Molte grazie per il tuo aiuto” since “gracie”  does not exist in Italian, and "con questa domanda” is superfluous and laboured, i.e. lacking in grace or fluency, and thus you should have omitted omit it.

Italian Language

Italian is my mother tongue and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning Italian Language.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: