Italian Language/"essercene"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me the meaning of “essercene” as in “essercene abbastanza”.

Is “essercene” some type of verb form?

Thank you very, very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the literal meaning of “essercene” as in “essercene abbastanza” is “to be there” (essercene)  and “to be there  enough” (essercene abbastanza).

See for example:”Puň essercene abbastanza per tutti loro” (It can be there enough for all of them);“Non ce n’č abbastanza per il pranzo” (There isn't enough for lunch); "Non ce n'č abbastanza qui per aiutare nessuno” (There isn't enough here to help anybody).

Please note that “essercene” in “essercene abbastanza”  is the present infinitive of “essere” (to be)  + the adverb of place “ce” (there) + the pronoun “ne” (of it).

Apropos of  the use of the adverb “ce” and the pronoun “ne” with the verb “essere”, see the following examples: “Ce ne sono sei” (There are six of them); “Ce n’erano molti altri” (there were many of those);"Non ne sono sicuro “ (I’m not sure about that); “Non ce n'era abbastanza” (There was not enough of it).

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria