Italian Language/frasi di esempio

QUESTION: Dear Maria,

My question is about the following sentence:
“Queste frasi di esempio mi ha aiutato moltissimo.

I am trying to express the following in this sentence:
“These example sentences have helped me very much.”

Can you please tell me if I was correct to have written: “frasi di esempio”.

I am thinking that in the English sentence - the noun “example” is being used as an adjective to modify the noun “sentences”.   Since the word “esempio” is only used as a noun in Italian, I was thinking that I could form a complemento di specificazione to express the same meaning in Italian by saying “frasi di esempio”.   

Would you please tell me if my line of reasoning is correct in this usage.

Thank you very, very  much.   As always, I very much appreciate your help.

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

“Questi esempi mi hanno aiutato moltissimo” is the correct Italian translation for “These example sentences have helped me very much”.

In Italian, in fact, we say “esempio” in the singular, not “frase di esempio”, and “esempi” in the plural, not “frasi di esempio”, as the noun “frase”/”frasi” is superfluous when used with the noun “esempio”/”esempi”.

Your  line of reasoning is therefore not correct in this usage.

Have a nice day,

QUESTION: Dear Maria,  

Thank you, once again, for your help.  I now understand that using this complemento to express “example sentences” is superfluous.

I very much appreciate this help.

But I am wondering if there would ever be a circumstance or context, where the noun -  “esempio/pi  can be used to form a complemento di specificazione with the noun “frase/i” as in saying
frase/i  di  esempio/i”.     

Thank you.

Dear Rich,

We can use “di esempio” only in a context such as the following:”Questa frase  può essere di esempio”, “C’è una frase che può essere di esempio”, etc., where however “di esempio” is not a complemento di specificazione of “frase” as in “frase/i  di  esempio/i.”

To sum up, we do not say “Queste frasi di esempio mi hanno aiutato moltissimo” corresponding to “These example sentences have helped me very much”, since we say correctly “Questi esempi mi hanno aiutato moltissimo”, where the word “esempi” implies the fact that they are sentences that can serve as examples.

All the best,

Italian Language

Italian is my mother tongue and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning Italian Language.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: