Italian Language/use of stato

Question
Dear Maria,

Thank you for all of your help!

Can you please tell me if “avere” can ever be correctly used with “stato” (the past participle of essere) as in saying - “ho stato”.  If “yes” - would you please identify this verb tense and also tell me how to translate -   “ho stato”.

Please note that I accidently wrote - “ho stato” (instead of writing “sono stato”)   in my question.  But, now I see many on-line references saying “ho stato”.    So, I am trying to understand what is meant by “ho stato”.  

And, just to make sure that I correctly understand the formation of the passive voice, would you also please tell me if the following sentences are correct or not:

Active Voice:  “La tua risposta mi ha aiutato moltissimo!”  (Your answer helped me very much)

Passive Voice:  “Sono stato aiutato moltissimo dalla tua risposta!”  (I was helped very much by your answer)

Thank you.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the auxiliary verb  “avere” cannot ever be correctly used with “stato” (the past participle of ‘essere’) as in saying - “ho stato” which is absolutely wrong, whereas the correct form is “sono stato”.

Therefore  the on-line references saying “ho stato” are  wrong, of course.  

Finally, you have correctly understood  the formation of the passive voice, as you wrote in  the following sentences:

Active Voice:“La tua risposta mi ha aiutato moltissimo!”(Your answer helped me very much)

Passive Voice:“Sono stato aiutato moltissimo dalla tua risposta!”(I was helped very much by your answer).

All the best,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria