Italian Language/Use of the verb: "stare"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if “stare” is the correct verb to use in the following sentence:

Spero che tutto stia bene con te.     
(I hope that all is well with you)

I used “stare” because the sentence is referring to a person’s well-being.   I just wanted to make sure that I was correct not to have used “essere” in this sentence.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

I’m sorry, but  the verb “stare” is not the correct verb to use in the sentence “Spero che tutto stia bene con te”  as well as it would be wrong to use the verb “essere” and then say ““Spero che tutto sia bene con te”.

I have to tell you, in fact, that both “Spero che tutto stia bene con te” and “Spero che tutto sia bene con te”  are  nothing but the literal translation  for the English phrase “I hope that all is well with you”, that in Italian would correspond correctly to “Spero che tutto ti vada bene” or “Spero  che tu stia bene”.

To sum up, any literal translation of  “I hope that all is well with you” would sound absolutely strange in Italian where  we would say  “Spero che tutto ti vada bene”, if the sentence means that all is well with you  in a broad sense,  or “Spero  che tu stia bene”, if the sentence is referring to a person’s well-being.

See also:
-”Prego che voi e i vostri bambini stiate bene” (I pray that all is well with your children and yourself)
-“Immagino che gli affari vadano bene” (I trust all is well with your business)
-“Non affermo tuttavia che tutto vada per il meglio” (I would not pretend, however, that all is well )

Best regards,

Maria
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
P.S.
Please note  that in your last rating  you should have written: ”Molte grazie del tuo aiuto. Come sempre, la tua risposta mi č servita moltissimo! Spero che tu stia bene. Ancora una volta – molte, molte grazie” instead of ”Molte grazie del tuo aiuto con questa domanda. Come sempre, la tua risposta mi ha aiutato moltissimo! Spero che tutto stia bene con te. Ancora una volta – molte, molte grazie”.  

Italian Language

Maria