Italian Language/grazie per

Question
Dear Maria,

Thank you for all of your help.  I am sorry to bother you again, but I am a bit confused about the use of the preposition “per” after the plural noun “grazie”.   Can you please tell me if the preposition “per” is always preferable to the preposition “di” .

In the past, I had thought that “di” was always to be used after “grazie” or “molte grazie”  in expressions such as:

Grazie di tutto      
Thank you for everything

Grazie del pensiero
Thank you for the thought

Grazie dell’augurio      
Thank you for the greeting

Soptratutto grazie di esservi ricordati di me.
Above all thanks for having remembered me.

Can you please tell me if I should use “per” after “grazie” or “molte grazie” as in the following:

Grazie per tutto   
Thank you for everything

Grazie per il pensiero
Thank you for the thought.

Grazie per l’augurio   
Thank you for the greeting

Soptratutto grazie per esservi ricordati di me.

Molte grazie per aver corretto la mia frase.
Thank you very much for having corrected my sentence.

Thank you so very much for telling me about this use of “per” after “grazie”.   I think that I must have just completely misunderstood this issue in an earlier question.  I am so thankful that you took the time to correct me.   Thank you!!!

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

First of all I’ve corrected  your sentence  “Molte grazie di aver corretto la mia frase” as in Italian it is better to say:"Molte grazie per aver corretto la mia frase” where the preposition “per”  depends on “molte grazie” and comes before the past infinitive “aver corretto”.
Moreover I’ve said that the preposition “di” was correct in “Ti ringrazio di aver corretto la mia frase” where it depends on the verb “ringraziare”.

In short, you need to consider not only the noun “grazie”, but also the past infinitive “aver corretto”.

That being stated, the preposition “per” is not always preferable to the preposition “di”, as the use of “per” or “di” depends on the context.

So, “Grazie di tutto”, “Grazie del pensiero”, “Grazie dell’augurio “, “Molte grazie per aver corretto la mia frase”  are correct,  whereas “Grazie per tutto”, “Grazie per il pensiero”, “Grazie per l’augurio “ sound less good in Italian, though they are often used.

Lastly, as for “ Soprattutto grazie di esservi ricordati di me” and “Soprattutto grazie per esservi ricordati di me”, they both can be used correctly, as here there is not the adjective “molte” before “grazie” as in “Molte grazie per aver corretto la mia frase”.

As you can see, it is the context that determines the use of a preposition.

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Have a nice day,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria