Italian Language/chi

Question
Dear Maria,

I hope you had a very nice vacation.

Would you please answer the following questions:

Is it true that the interrogative pronoun “chi” can be used as a predicate noun?  If “yes” can you please tell me  if “chi” is a predicate noun in the following sentence:
“E tu chi sei?”
And you are who?

I was also wondering if the interrogative pronoun “chi” is always placed before the verb.  Would this be true in all cases – including when  “chi”  is used as a subject, predicate noun, direct object, and indirect object?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

It is true that the interrogative pronoun “chi” can be used as a predicate noun, as in  “E tu chi sei?” (And you are who?).

It is  also true that  the interrogative pronoun “chi” is always placed before the verb in all cases – including when  “chi”  is used as a subject (See e.g. “Chi ha suonato alla porta?”), predicate noun (“E tu chi sei?”), direct object (“Chi hai incontrato?”, “Chi hai portato con te?” ), and indirect object (“Con chi stai parlando?”, “A chi ti rivolgerai?”, “Di chi ti fidi?”, "Di chi parli?").

Anyway I have to tell you that when using a  familiar language we  can also say “E tu sei chi?”, “Hai incontrato chi?”, “Stai parlando con chi?”, “Ti rivolgerai a chi?”, “Parli di chi?”,"Ti fidi di chi?", since in all these sentences we want to express either a kind  of astonishment about the “chi” or an emphasis on this interrogative  pronoun.

Have a nice day,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria