Italian Language/"to mind"

Dear Lauren,

Can you please tell me how to say “to mind” as in saying – “ I hope you don’t mind”  or “mind your own business”, etc.

Thank you very much.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your question.

'To mind' can have various translations in Italian depending on its meaning in context. For example, in the sense of caring or objecting, the verb would be 'dispiacere' or 'importare.' Regarding attending to something, 'pensare' or 'badare' can be used.

So, 'I hope you don't mind' will be 'spero che non ti importi' or 'spero non ti dispiaccia'

Mind your own business, in particular, actually has its own idiomatic expression - 'pensa agli affari tuoi!' (literally 'think of your own affairs)

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan