Italian Language/Possessive Adjective

Question
Dear Maria,

I recently encountered the following statement:  “Piacere mio!  Sempre!”  (The context of this statement is that a woman is writing a note to a man who had previously sent her a thank you note)

I am thinking that -  “Piacere mio!  Sempre!”  is translated as:  “My pleasure!  Always!”

Can you please tell me if this is the correct translation.

But, I am very much wondering why the possessive article has been placed after the noun and why the definite article has been omitted.  Is this colloquial language?  If this language acceptable?  Is this how Italians really speak?

If it is common and accepted practice to say “Piacere mio!”   -  can you please explain how a non-native speaker, such as myself,  can know when it is acceptable to say  -  “Piacere mio!” rather than  the official Italian grammar taught in textbooks which I think would be - “Il mio piacere!”

Does this same reasoning apply to all of the Italian possessive adjectives (mio, tuo suo, nostro, etc), or can only “mio” be placed after the noun without a definite article?

Thank you so much.  It is so important to me to get this correct.  I want to be as respectable as possible when using your beautiful language.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

In the note that a woman is writing  to a man who had previously sent her a thank you note  the statement:  “Piacere mio!  Sempre!”  is correct as this woman wants to say that it was a pleasure to help him, and moreover it will  be always  a pleasure in the future.

So, “Piacere mio!  Sempre!”  would correspond to “It was my pleasure!  And it will be always a pleasure for me!”

As for the possessive article which has been placed after the noun, while the definite article has been omitted, this is a correct standard language,  not only colloquial, since “Piacere mio!“ is different from “Il mio piacere” which can be used as a subject in a sentence such as e.g.  “Il mio piacere consiste nel passeggiare nel verde”, “Il mio piacere deriva dalla tua presenza”, etc.

In short, “Piacere mio!” is a kind of  a courtesy formula, i.e. a polite way of replying to someone who has thanked you or a standard way  of greeting someone who has been introduced to you (See “Piacere”, “Piacere mio!, “Piacere di conoscerla!”)

Lastly, this same reasoning does not apply  to all of the Italian possessive adjectives (mio, tuo, suo, nostro, etc), but  only  to “mio” or “nostro”  placed after the noun without a definite article as in “Piacere mio!” (as a  polite way of replying to someone who has thanked me) or “Piacere nostro!” (as a  polite way of replying to someone who has thanked us).

Otherwise we say e.g. “Il tuo piacere consiste nel passeggiare tra il verde”;“Il suo piacere consiste nel passeggiare nel verde”; “Il nostro piacere consiste nel passeggiare nel verde”; "Il vostro  piacere consiste nel passeggiare nel verde”; "Il loro piacere consiste nel passeggiare nel verde” where the possessive is preceded by the definite article.

Hope this is clear enough.

Have a nice weekend,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria