Italian Language/subject pronouns in question clauses

Question
Dear Lauren,  

Can you please tell me if, depending upon the context and the desired emphasis, it would be acceptable to place the subject pronoun after the verb in a question clause such as the following:

Lei il signor Rossi?
Are you Mr. Rossi?

Would I also be correct to think that normally - one would keep the subject pronoun before the verb and say:

Lei il signor Rossi?
Are you Mr. Rossi?

So just to make sure I understand correctly - can you PLEASE tell me if both methods are acceptable or not.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Yes, I can confirm that both ' Lei il signor Rossi?' and 'Lei il signor Rossi?' can be used.

However, I would say that 'Lei' is not a compulsory element of the sentence as I am sure you might know. You would only add this if you really want to emphasise the fact. Otherwise, it is perfectly understandable just as ' il signor Rossi?'

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan