Italian Language/translation / use of "con"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if I have correctly translated the following sentence:

È sempre tanto carina con me.
She is always so kind to me.

Would you please also tell me if I was correct to base my translation of the person of the verb as “she” (instead of “he”) due to the fact that the adjective “carina” is inflected in the feminine.

I was also wondering about the use of the preposition “con”.  Can you please tell me if there is any special reason why “con” is used in this sentence.  Would it also be acceptable to say “a me” (to me)?

Thank you very much.   

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

“She is always so kind to me “ is the correct translation for the sentence “È sempre tanto carina con me”.

Also, it is  correct to use  the subject pronoun “she” (instead of “he”), as the adjective “carina” is inflected in the feminine.

As for the use of the preposition “con”, please note that the adjective “carino” with the verb “essere” in the expression “essere carino con qualcuno” requires always the preposition “con”, and therefore it would not be acceptable to say “a me”.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria