Italian Language/use of plural noun "signori" for gentlemen

Dear Lauren,

Can you please tell me if, depending upon the context, whether or not the masculine plural noun “signori” can be used to say the English plural noun - “gentlemen”.

For example, would the following sentence be correct:

Si comportano come signori.
They behave like gentlemen.

Thank you very much.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your question. Yes, indeed 'signori' can be used to say 'gentlemen' so the translation that you give is perfectly correct

In fact, just like the English expression, Italians say 'Ladies and Gentlemen' with 'Signore e signori.'

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan