Italian Language/Use of "tu stia avendo" and use of "carina"

Question
Dear Maria,  

My question is about the following sentence:
“Spero che tu stia avendo una vacanza carina.”

I am trying to write the following:
“I hope that you are having a nice vacation.”

Can you please tell me if I was correct to have used the subjunctive in this sentence instead of the indicative.

Would you also please tell me if - “tu stia avendo” (the present subjunctive of stare plus the simple gerundio of avere) is the correct way to express “you are having” (English present progressive) in an Italian sentence that requires the subjunctive.

I was also wondering if one could say “tu stai avendo” (the present indicative of stare plus the simple gerundio of avere) to express “you are having” (English present progressive) in an Italian sentence that requires the indicative.

Can you also please tell me if the adjective “carina” was correctly used (instead of buona or bella”) in this sentence.  

Thank you very much.  As always, I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

actually the English sentence “I hope that you are having a nice vacation” translates correctly as “Spero che tu stia trascorrendo  una  piacevole vacanza” as well as ““Spero che tu stia trascorrendo  una  bella vacanza”.

As for your doubts, I have to tell you that:

1)you have correctly used  the subjunctive in this sentence instead of the indicative.

2)“tu stia avendo” (the present subjunctive of “stare” plus the simple gerundio of “avere”) is the correct way to express “you are having” (English present progressive) in an Italian sentence that requires the subjunctive, apart from the fact that we prefer to use the verb “trascorrere” instead of “avere” and then say:”tu stia trascorrendo”.

3)one could say “tu stai avendo” (the present indicative of “stare” plus the simple gerundio of “avere”) to express “you are having” (English present progressive) in an Italian sentence that requires the indicative, as in e.g. “So che stai avendo molti problemi”.

4)  the adjective “carina” is not  correctly used in this sentence, since we use “carino” in sentences like e.g. “E’ sempre tanto carina con me”, where “carina” means “gentile”;  “Era una ragazza molto carina”, where “carina” means “graziosa”; “Carina questa maglietta!”, etc.

Best regards,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria