Italian Language/translation

Question
QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if the following sentence is correct or not:

“Ma, penso che ho bisogno di capire meglio l’uso dei pronomi indiretti e dei pronomi diretti.”
But, I think that I need to better understand the use of indirect object pronouns and direct object pronouns.

I especially want to make sure that I was correct to use the indicative “ho” (and not the subjunctive)  in the dependent clause,   and that  my use of the adverb “meglio” is the correct way to express “better” in this sentence.

As always, thank you very much for your help and patience with my questions.

Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

It is  correct to use the indicative “ho” (and not the subjunctive)  in the dependent clause “che ho bisogno di”. Also, the use of the adverb “meglio” is  the correct way  to express “better” in “capire meglio” .

Anyway, instead of  “Ma, penso che ho bisogno di capire meglio l’uso dei pronomi indiretti e dei pronomi diretti”,  it would be better to say:”Penso tuttavia che ho bisogno di capire meglio l’uso dei pronomi indiretti e di quelli diretti“ where I’ve used “tuttavia” after the verb instead of “ma” before the verb, and the demonstrative pronoun “quelli” in “quelli diretti” to avoid repetition.

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Have a nice day,

Maria

QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Can you please tell me if the conjunction “tuttavia” is always placed after the verb.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the conjunction “tuttavia” is not always placed after the verb, simply because it is the speaker/writer that can choose its placement, depending on the context and his preferences.

Therefore we can say either “Penso tuttavia che ho bisogno di capire meglio…” or “Tuttavia penso  che ho bisogno di capire meglio…”.

Best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria