Italian Language/Translation

Question
Dear Maria,

Just to make sure that I understand correctly the use of the demonstrative pronoun “quelli”  in the following sentence, would you please tell me if my translation is correct or not:

“Penso tuttavia che ho bisogno di capire meglio l’uso dei pronomi indiretti e di quelli diretti.”
Nevertheless, I think that I need to better understand the use of indirect object pronouns and of those direct ones.

Can you also please tell me if I am correct to think that “quelli” is being used as an indirect object in this sentence.  

I was not aware that “quello (and therefore forms of quello such as quelli) could be used as indirect objects.  If this is correct, can you also please tell me if the English translation of the indirect object “quello” will always include the word “one”.  I learned in the past that the inclusion of the word “one” is the rule for the translation of the direct object “quello”.   I just wanted to make sure that this rule also applies to the translation “quello” when used as an indirect object.

Thank you very much for your help.   I really appreciate your patience in explaining all of this to me.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

your  translation is correct. As for  the demonstrative pronoun “quelli” in “Penso tuttavia che ho bisogno di capire meglio l’uso dei pronomi indiretti e di quelli diretti”, it  is being used as an indirect object in this sentence, where the direct object is “l’uso” (“complemento oggetto” in Italian) , while “dei pronomi indiretti e di quelli diretti” are just used as indirect objects (“complementi di specificazione” in Italian).

With regard to “quello (and therefore forms of ‘quello’ such as ‘quelli’) used as indirect objects, I'm not so  expert in English language as to tell you that the translation of the indirect object “quello” must always include the word “one”, but nevertheless I think that it is correct to say that the inclusion of the word “one” is the rule for the translation of the direct object “quello” as well as  of the indirect object.

Have a nice day,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria