Italian Language/translation

Question
Dear Lauren,

Can you please tell me the meaning of:  “mi venne”

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

It is hard to totally translate this without the context but essentially, 'venne' is the third person singular of the passato remoto in Italian, which I am sure you are aware is hardly ever used nowadays (with the exception of the south, who can use it instead of using the standard past tense structure). Here, it literally means 'he/she/it came to me'. Depending on the context, this could be literally or in a figurative sense.

Often you will see this followed by the collocation 'in mente' - meaning to come to mind.

If you can provide the sentence it is in, I may be able to help further.

Best wishes,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan