Italian Language/translation

Dear Lauren,

Can you please tell me the meaning of:  “mi venne”

Thank you.

Hi Rich,

It is hard to totally translate this without the context but essentially, 'venne' is the third person singular of the passato remoto in Italian, which I am sure you are aware is hardly ever used nowadays (with the exception of the south, who can use it instead of using the standard past tense structure). Here, it literally means 'he/she/it came to me'. Depending on the context, this could be literally or in a figurative sense.

Often you will see this followed by the collocation 'in mente' - meaning to come to mind.

If you can provide the sentence it is in, I may be able to help further.

Best wishes,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan