Italian Language/use of gerundio

QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if the use of the gerundio - “traducendo” is correct in the following sentence:

Grazie di traducendo questa frase.
Thank you for translating this sentence.  

Would you please also tell me if the following sentence is acceptable or not:

Hai chiarito i miei dubbi.
You have clarified my doubts.  

Thank you for your great help.  As always, I am very appreciative of all you do!!

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

I’m sorry, but  the use of the gerundio  “traducendo” in the sentence that you mention is absolutely wrong, since the correct translation for “Thank you for translating this sentence” would be “Grazie di aver tradotto questa frase”,  where we do not use the gerund, but the past infinitive active “aver tradotto”.

As for “Hai chiarito i miei dubbi” for “You have clarified my doubts” as addressed to only one person (2nd person singular), it is correct.

Kind regards,

QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Even if this is not the best way, would it also be grammatically correct to say:

Ti ringrazio di tradurre questa frase.

Thank you very much.

Dear Rich,

I’m sorry, but it is incorrect to say  “Ti ringrazio di tradurre questa frase”  instead of “ Ti ringrazio di aver tradotto questa frase” which however in Italian refers to the fact that  the person one is talking to has already translated the sentence at issue.

If on the contrary you want to say that the action of “tradurre”  occurs in the present, you should say:”Ti ringrazio dell’aiuto che ora mi stai dando  nel tradurre questa frase” where the adverb “ora”  indicates that the action occurs in the present.

Also, you could say:”Ti ringrazio di darmi  il tuo aiuto nella traduzione di questa frase” as well as “Ti ringrazio di aiutarmi nella traduzione di questa frase”, where both “darmi il tuo aiuto” and “aiutarmi” denote  that the action occurs in the present.

To conclude, in Italian we can use the infinitive present after the verb  “ringraziare”  as long as the  whole phrase denotes that  the action occurs in the present.

To conclude, I have to tell you that I really know that it is not so easy  for a non-native speaker to distinguish  these shades of meaning.

Best regards,

Italian Language

Italian is my mother tongue and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning Italian Language.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: