Italian Language/Greetings

Question
Dear Maria,

Thank you, once again, for all of your great help!!

Can you please tell me the correct way to say: “Have a nice afternoon”

Can you also please tell me the correct way to say:   “Have a nice evening”.

Just as there is a difference between saying - “Buon Giorno (Good Morning) as opposed to saying “Buona Giornata” (Have a nice day);   I was wondering if there is a special way to say - “Have a nice afternoon” as opposed to saying - “Buon Pomeriggio” (Good afternoon) and also if there is a special way to say - “Have a nice evening” as opposed to saying - “Buona Sera” (Good Evening).

Thank you very much.   As always, I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the correct way to say: “Have a nice afternoon” and “Have a nice evening” is “Buon pomeriggio” and “Buona serata” respectively.

Just as there is a difference between saying - “Buongiorno (Good Morning) as opposed to saying “Buona giornata” (Have a nice day), there is a difference between saying -“Buonasera” (Good Evening) as opposed to saying “Buona serata” (Have a nice evening).

To sum up, “Buongiorno” and “Buonasera” are usually what you say to greet someone politely when you meet him/her  in the morning or in the evening, while “Buon pomeriggio” and “Buona serata” are used  as a cordial wish for  the afternoon and the evening, not as a simple greeting.

Hope I made myself understood.

Kind regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria