Italian Language/"say"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if the following sentence is acceptable or not:
Per favore, mi puoi spiegare perché non si può usare il pronome personale atono – “mi” e dice:

I was trying to express the following:
Can you please explain to me why one is not able to use the unstressed pronoun – “mi” and say

I am especially doubting my use of “e dice” to express “and say”, but I just could not think of any other way to make this expression.  

I was thinking, that maybe, I should use the 3rd person singular form-  “dice”  due to the inclusion of the “si impersonale” previously in the sentence.   Is this correct?

If not, would you please tell me the correct way to express “say” in this sentence, and also hopefully,  explain the reason why.

Thank you very, very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the  sentence “Per favore, mi puoi spiegare perché non si può usare il pronome personale atono  “mi” e dice:…” is not acceptable, for you should have written “Per favore, mi puoi spiegare perché non si può usare il pronome personale atono  “mi” e dire:…?”  where there is the present infinitive “dire” instead of the present indicative “dice” which is wrong in this context.

Please note that, like in the English sentence “Can you please explain to me why one is not able to use the unstressed pronoun – “mi” and say..?” there is the present infinitive “say” depending on “not able to”, in Italian too the present infinitive “dire” depends on “non si può” followed by the infinitives “usare” and “dire”.

So, it is not correct what you think, i.e. that you should use the 3rd person singular form  “dice”  due to the inclusion of the “si impersonale” previously in the sentence, since “dire” depends on  the verb “potere”, independently of the “si impersonale”.

To conclude, the correct way to express “say” in the  sentence above is exactly “e dire” just like “and say” in English.

Have a nice afternoon,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria