Italian Language/use of: "ci sia"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please help me to understand the use of “ci sia” in the following sentence:

Spero che tu abbia capito che i pronomi personali atoni, detti anche “particelle pronominali” ( mi, ti, ci, si, vi), non possono essere usati quando si trovano in frasi in cui ci sia anche un secondo complemento (diretto o indiretto) …

I am thinking that this sentence would be translated as:

I hope that you have understood that the unstressed pronouns also known as pronominal particles (mi, ti, ci, si, vi) are not able to be used when they are located in sentences in which there are …

Can you please tell me if “ci” is being used as an adverb of place to mean “there” in this sentence?  

I am also very unsure about the use of “sia” is used in this sentence.  Is “sia’” the subjunctive of “essere” in this sentence?  If “yes”, would you please explain to be why the subjunctive is required.  

Thank you so very much.  I can never thank you enough for all of your help!!

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

in the sentence:”Spero che tu abbia capito che i pronomi personali atoni, detti anche “particelle pronominali” ( mi, ti, ci, si, vi), non possono essere usati quando si trovano in frasi in cui ci sia anche un secondo complemento (diretto o indiretto).. “, just meaning  “I hope that you have understood that the unstressed pronouns also known as pronominal particles (mi, ti, ci, si, vi) are not able to be used when they are located in sentences in which there is…. “, the word “ci” is being used as an adverb of place to mean “there”.  

As for  the use of “sia” (3rd person singular, present subjunctive),  the present subjunctive of “essere” in this sentence is required because the Subjunctive is the mood which expresses a possibility, whereas the Indicative mood is used for expressing facts instead possibilities.

To sum up, in Italian we use the Subjunctive as a verb form that refers to actions that are possibilities rather than facts.

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria