Italian Language/use of : "stazione"

Dear Lauren,

Can you please help me to understand the word “stazione”.

I am confused because sometimes I see the word “stazione” translated as “railroad station”.  

Other times, I see the word “stazione” only translated as “station”.   

And, to add even more confusion, at other times, I see “stazione ferroviaria” translated as “railroad station”.

Does “stazione” mean both “station” and “railroad station”?  

Does “stazione” mean any kind of station – such as a train station, bus station, etc?

Thank you very, very much.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your question.

'Stazione' is a railway station. It can also be translated simply as 'station' in an abbreviated manner. But 'stazione' is actually already an abbreviated form in Italian of 'stazione ferroviaria'. Like in English, we wouldn't always tend to say the whole word, we may tend to just abbreviate and say, "I'm going to the station" and usually from context, it is understood whether this is train, bus etc. If you wanted to specify and be sure that your audience understand, you might say, "I'm going to the railway station" (Sorry, I realise that you must use 'railroad' in America instead!)

To put this in an Italian context, we could say, "Vado alla stazione" or "vado alla stazione ferroviaria".

Using 'stazione' on its own does run the risk that others may not know which station for sure but with context, it is easily implied that it is train or bus. If in doubt, always add 'ferroviaria' or 'degli autobus'

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan