Italian Language/word placement

Dear Lauren,

Would you please help me with the placement of the adjective “eccellente”.  

I was wondering if there exist any hard and fast rules about whether or not “eccellente” should be placed before or after the noun it modifies.

For example – does it matter if I say - “aiuto eccellente” (excellent help) or if I say - “eccellente aiuto” (excellent help)?

Is it possible that this placement (before or after the noun it modifies) comes down to the personal preference of the speaker/writer?

Thank you very much.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your question. I would say that if 'eccellente' is placed before the noun, then usually this is done for emphasis. Normally, it is far more common to find it placed after the noun.

So in your example, if you wanted to stress to somebody that their help wasn't good, it was excellent, you might say 'eccellente aiuto.' Otherwise, in a normal conversation, you could just say 'aiuto eccellente.'

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan