Italian Language/word placement

Question
Dear Lauren,

Would you please help me with the placement of the adjective “eccellente”.  

I was wondering if there exist any hard and fast rules about whether or not “eccellente” should be placed before or after the noun it modifies.

For example – does it matter if I say - “aiuto eccellente” (excellent help) or if I say - “eccellente aiuto” (excellent help)?

Is it possible that this placement (before or after the noun it modifies) comes down to the personal preference of the speaker/writer?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your question. I would say that if 'eccellente' is placed before the noun, then usually this is done for emphasis. Normally, it is far more common to find it placed after the noun.

So in your example, if you wanted to stress to somebody that their help wasn't good, it was excellent, you might say 'eccellente aiuto.' Otherwise, in a normal conversation, you could just say 'aiuto eccellente.'

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren  

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan