Italian Language/"arancione" e "marrone"

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the adjectives -   “arancione” and “marrone”.

Can you please tell me if these adjectives are invariable of if they should be inflected.

One of my dictionaries states that “arancione” is an invariable adjective, but a different dictionary states that “arancione” is inflected as “arancioni” when used to modify a plural word.

This same dictionary states that “marrone” is an invariable adjective, but a different dictionary states that “marrone” is inflected as “marroni” ” when used to modify a plural word.

Can you please tell me the correct way to use these words.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the  terms  “arancione” and “marrone”, when used as adjectives, can be either invariable or variable, while, when used as nouns, are always variable.
We can therefore say either “velluti arancioni” or “velluti arancione”;  “sciarpe marroni” or “sciarpe marrone”; “occhi marroni” or “occhi marrone”; “scarpe marroni “ or “scarpe marrone”, for “arancione” and “marrone” are used as  adjectives and then can be either variable or invariable.

But, when “arancione” and “marrone” are used as nouns, we say for example: “Nella gamma dei colori gli arancioni stanno tra il giallo e il rosso”( in the range of colours orange is between red and yellow), where “gli arancioni” is a noun ;“C’era un bel bosco di marroni” (There was a  beautiful wood of chestnut trees); “Mi piacciono i marroni canditi” (I like the marrons glacés),  where “marroni” is the plural of the noun “marrone”  in the meaning of a variety of “chestnut tree” in the first sentence,  and  in the sense of a “large chestnut”/”marron” as a special variety of chestnut fruit in the second sentence.

As you can see, the  terms  “arancione” and “marrone” can be  invariable or variable, when used as adjectives,  whereas, when used as nouns, are always variable.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria