Italian Language/imperfetto

Question
Hi Maria,

What is the imperfetto of esserci?

Answer
Hello,

The “imperfetto” of the verb “esserci”  where the atonic particle “ci” is an adverb of place  meaning “ there”, is the following:
Io c’ero
Tu c’eri
Egli c’era
Noi c’eravamo
Voi c’eravate
Essi/loro c’erano

See for example:”C’eri ieri? “ (Were you there yesterday?); “Sì, io c’ero” (Yes, I was there); “C’erano più di 60.000 persone allo stadio” ( there were over 60,000 people at the stadium); “Non c’era nessuna traccia dei rapitori” ( there was no sign of the kidnappers); “Chi c’era al concerto?” ( who was at the concert?); “C’era  qualcuno in casa?” ( was there anyone at home?); “C’era molto traffico sulle strade” ( there was a lot of traffic on the roads); etc.

There are however other uses of “esserci” as in the following examples:”Che c’è?” ( what’s the matter?); “Che cosa c’è di nuovo?” ( what’s new?); “Ci siamo!” (here we are!); “Ci sono!” equivalent to ”Ho capito” ( “I’ve got it).

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria