Italian Language/“similitudini abbreviate” (abbreviated similitudes)

Question
QUESTION: Dear Maria,

My question is about how to classify the terms:   “giallo oro” and “biondo oro”.

Would you please tell me if it is correct or not to refer to these constructions as:   “forme composte” (compound forms).

Or, would I be more grammatically correct to think that the noun “oro” is being used as an adjective to modify the nouns “giallo” and “biondo” and therefore “oro” would be classified as a “valore attributivo”?

Thank you very, very much for your help.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

the terms “giallo oro” and “biondo oro” are classified as "similitudine abbreviata", i.e. an abbreviated similitude indicating the quality or state of being similar to something.

In fact, “giallo oro” and “biondo oro” stand for "giallo come l'oro” and “biondo come l'oro” where the similitude "come l'oro" (like gold) has been partially omitted.

Best regards,

Maria

QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Thank you very much for your help with this question.  

I hope that you will not mind a follow-up question about the use of the “similitudini abbreviate”  (abbreviated similitudes).

Can you please tell me if  “similitudini abbreviate”  (abbreviated similitudes) can be used as both masculine nouns and as invariable adjectives.

For example, would you please tell me if the “similitudine abbreviata” -  “giallo oro” is being used as a masculine noun in the following sentences:

Il suo colore preferito č il giallo oro.
His favorite color is gold.

Le piace il giallo oro.
She likes gold.

For example, would you please tell me if the “similitudine abbreviata” -  “giallo oro” is being used as an invariable adjective in the following sentence:

La casa č dipinta di giallo oro.
The house is painted gold.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the “similitudine abbreviata” -  “giallo oro” is being used as a masculine noun in  e.g. “ Il suo colore preferito č il giallo oro “(His favorite color is gold), “Le piace il giallo oro” (She likes gold).

On the contrary in “La casa č dipinta di giallo oro” (The house is painted gold) or in “ Aveva dei mazzi di narcisi  giallo oro” the “similitudine abbreviata” -  “giallo oro” is being used as an invariable adjective .

Have a nice afternoon,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria