Italian Language/use of: "chiaro"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if the following is correct or not:
“pantaloni verdi chiari”  = light green pants

I wanted to make sure that I am correct to inflect the adjective - verde (green) as the masculine plural form – “verdi” and to inflect the adjective - chiaro (light) as the masculine plural form “chiari” so that both adjectives agree with the grammatical masculine plural noun - “pantaloni”.

I have also seen  “rosso chiaro” translated as “bright red”.  Can you please tell me if this is the correct translation.  I was wondering why “rosso chiaro” is not translated as “light red”.

Thank you very much.  I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

actually you must say and write “pantaloni verde chiaro” (light green pants) because  this expression stands for "pantaloni color verde chiaro" where "verde chiaro" in the singular agrees with the masculine singular noun "colore" which is implied.

As you can see, you must not inflect the adjective - verde (green) as the masculine plural form – “verdi” and to inflect the adjective - chiaro (light) as the masculine plural form “chiari” so that both adjectives agree with the grammatical masculine plural noun - “pantaloni”.

If on the contrary you want to translate "green pants" or "red pants", etc., you must say "pantaloni verdi" or "pantaloni rossi" with the adjectives "rosso" and "verde" inflected as "rossi" and "verdi".

As for “rosso chiaro” translated as “bright red”, it is not correct, for "bright red" means "rosso vivo", whereas "rosso chiaro" is just “light red”, as you think.

Kind regards,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria