Italian Language/use of "oro"

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the use of the masculine noun “oro” to refer to the color of “gold”.  

I understand that the complemento di specificazione - “il color dell’oro” is used to express “gold” as a color.   But, I was wondering if the context makes it obvious that one means the color -  if it is then acceptable just to say “oro” to refer to the color of gold.    

For example, would it be acceptable to say “Il mio colore preferito è l’oro.”  (My favorite color is gold)

Thank you very much for your help.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

if the context makes it obvious that one means the color,  it is acceptable to say “oro” to refer to the color of gold.  For example, it is  then acceptable to say “Il mio colore preferito è l’oro”  (My favorite color is gold).

Good afternoon,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria