Italian Language/Preposition "a"

Question
QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Can you please tell me how to say the following nouns in Italian:

“air conditioning”

“air-conditioner”

I am confused because I have seen “aria condizionata” translated as “air conditioning”.    But, “condizionata” is a past participle.  Would not “condizionata” be translated into English as the past participle – “conditioned”?

Also, can you please tell me how to classify the Italian counterparts of   “air conditioning” and “air-conditioner”.  For example, is “aria condizionata” a “forme composte”?

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

you can say “air conditioning” as well as “air-conditioned”, both meaning “aria condizionata” as in e.g. “air-conditioned room” (stanza ad aria condizionata) or “air-conditioning system” (sistema ad aria condizionata).
In Italian grammar the expression “aria condizionata” is simply a feminine noun followed by a past participle used as an adjective.

As for “air-conditioner”, i.e. “the machine that keeps the air in a building cool”, it corresponds to  “condizionatore” in Italian, as in e.g. “Fu uno dei primi ad avere un condizionatore” (He was one of the first to have an air-conditioner).
The term “condizionatore” is simply a masculine noun in Italian grammar.

Best regards,

Maria

QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Thank you very much for your help with this question.

I hope you will not mind a follow-up question about the use of the preposition “a” in the expressions “stanza ad aria condizionata” (air-conditioned room)  or  “sistema ad aria condizionata”  (air-conditioning system).

Would you please tell me if I am correct to think that the expression “ad aria condizionata” is a “complemento indiretto” used to modify the nouns “stanza” and “sistema”.  

If this is correct, would you please tell me the type of complemento indiretto.  Are these examples of a “complemento di modo”?

I am also very interested to know if I am correct to think that the preposition “a” is included because it is needed to describe a distinguishing feature of design and has no literal individual meaning.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

you are right: the expression “ad aria condizionata” is a “complemento indiretto” used to modify the nouns “stanza” and “sistema” in “stanza ad aria condizionata” (air-conditioned room)  and in  “sistema ad aria condizionata”  (air-conditioning system).

As for  the type of  this “complemento indiretto”, we consider it a “complemento di modo”, just because  the preposition “a” is included because it is needed to describe a distinguishing feature of design without any literal individual meaning.

See also:” Pagare a rate”,” Stare a bocca chiusa”, “Camminare a passo lento”, “Sognare a occhi aperti”, “Fare una cosa a caso “.

To conclude, I'm always glad to help you with your questions.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria