Italian Language/"car door" e "to lock"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please help me with the following questions:

Can you please tell me the correct way to say “car door” in Italian.  I was wondering if I should use the adjective “automobilistico” and say - “la porta automobilistica”, or if I should use the noun “automobile” and form an indirect object as in saying - “la porta del automobile”.

I was also wondering how to say “to lock” in Italian.  Would you please tell me if I should say - “chiudere a chiave”. If “yes” would you also tell me of the following sentence is correct or not:

“Ho chiuso a chiave la porta.”
(I locked the door)

Lastly, would you please tell me if “a chiave” is considered to be an indirect object in this expression.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

“car door” is  in Italian “portiera dell’auto” or  simply “portiera” when it is obvious that you are referring to a car.

You therefore must not use the adjective “automobilistico” and say “la porta automobilistica”, or use the noun “automobile” and say  “la porta del automobile”.

See for example:"Aprimi la portiera!"; "La portiera dell'auto era rimasta aperta"; "Esci dall'auto e chiudi la portiera!", etc.

As for how to say “to lock” in Italian, you must  say  “chiudere a chiave” as in “Ho chiuso a chiave la porta”(I locked the door) where “a chiave” is considered to be an indirect object called in Italian “complemento di mezzo”, i.e. an indirect object indicating the means or instrument of an action, since the door has been shut with a key.

Have a nice weekend,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria