Italian Language/treanslating: "condizionato"

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the word – “condizionato”.    

I understand that “condizionato” is a past participle that can be used as an adjective,  and that “condizionato”  means “conditioned”.

My confusion  results from the fact translation that “condizionato” is also translated as “conditioning” when “condizionato” is used to modify the feminine noun “aria” as in saying “aria condizionata” that can not only be translated as  “air-conditioned” but also as  “air-conditioning”.

Can you please help me to understand how one can know when an Italian past participle can be translated as both an English past participle (for example –conditioned) and also as an English present participle (for example - conditioning).

Also, can you please tell me if “condizionato” can always mean “conditioning” ,  or is this a special usage when “condizionato” is used to modify “aria” -   as in translating “aria condizionata” to mean  “air-conditioning”.

Thank you very much.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

I think that English language uses  the present participle  in “air conditioning system” because this expression refers to a system which is conditioning  the air.
On the contrary English uses the past participle  in “air conditioned room” because such expression refers to a room where the air is conditioned.

Such an English use  has nothing to do  however with Italian, as we always use the past participle “condizionato” in  expressions like  “stanza ad aria condizionata”  and  “sistema ad aria condizionata”, and then it’s not true that, generally speaking, an Italian past participle can be translated as both an English past participle (for example –conditioned) and also as an English present participle (for example - conditioning).

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria