Italian Language/complementi and the genitive case

Question
Dear Maria,  

Just to make sure that I  understand correctly, can you please tell me if the “genitive case”  includes  the nouns used to form all  the variousntypes of “complementi’  such as the nouns in a complemento di  specificazione, complemento di material, complemento di abbondanza, complemento di mezzo, etc,  etc.

Or,  are only the nouns used as a  complemento di specificazione considered to be in the genitive case.

Can you also please tell me if the following translations are correct, and also if I have correctly identified the type of complemento.

il biglietto dell’aereo
the plane ticket
dell’aereo  =  complemento di specificazione
"aereo" is in the genitive case

la luce del sole
the sun light
del sole  =  complemento di specificazione  
"sole" is in the genitive case

il caldo dell’estate
the summer heat
dell’estate  =  complemento di specificazione
“estate” is in the genitive case

il cavo dell’elettricità
the electric rope
dell’elettricità  =  complemento di specificazione  
“elettricità” is in the genitive case

Thank you very much.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

Your translations are correct and you have correctly identified the type of “complemento”.
Anyway I have to tell you that  you cannot say that  "aereo", “sole”, “estate” and  “elettricità” are in the genitive case simply because in Italian, differently from Latin and ancient Greek, we don’t have the cases, i.e. different endings for nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, vocative, ablative, and then all the nouns remain the same when we use them to indicate a “complemento di specificazione” as wellas when we indicate  any other “complemento” such as e.g. a “complemento di materia” (una statua di marmo) or a“ complemento di abbondanza” (Una casa piena di mobili), etc.

Therefore you can say that “del sole “, “dell’estate”, “dell’aereo” and “dell’elettricità” are “complementi di specificazione”, but not that "aereo", “sole”, “estate” and “elettricità” are in the genitive case, just because the genitive case does not exist in Italian.

That being stated,  it’s obvious that the “genitive case” does not exist in Italian and then it cannot  includes  the nouns used to form all  the various types of “complementi"  such as the nouns in a "complemento di  specificazione", "complemento di materia", "complemento di abbondanza", "complemento di mezzo", etc,  etc.

Hoe this is clear enough.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria