Italian Language/Italian Homework Help

Question
Hello Jelena,

I was wondering if you could help me with my Italian homework. It is about double pronouns and I just don't seem to be understanding it.
This is what the assignment is asking me to do:

Riscrivi ogni frase sostituendo l’espressione sottolineata con i pronomi doppi.

I genitori hanno affittato un appartamento per i figli Antonio e Gennaro.

Antonio e Gennaro descrivono le stanze a voi.

Voi portate un armadio a noi.

Voi regalate un quadro a me.

Io offro un pranzo a voi.

Antonio ha regalato una cassettiera a Gennaro.

Stamattina Gennaro si č fatto la barba nel bagno nuovo.

Il giorno dopo Antonio e Gennaro mostrano ai genitori un appartamento impeccabile!

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Answer
Ciao, Diana!

I can't really do the homework for you :), but I will try to explain this to you as simply as I can.

I pronomi doppi  combine indirect and direct object.

I believe you had already learned indirect object pronouns (mi, ti, ci, vi gli). When combined with direct object pronouns, they become me, te, ce, ve , glie... You will distinguish them from direct by asking a question "to whom, to what". In Italian they  usually have the preposition A, PER... before them (a me=mi, a te=ti, a lui=gli, a lei=le...)Direct object answer the question "what, who". Direct object pronouns in Italian are LO, LA, LI, LE (LO= masculine object singular, LA= feminine obj. sing, LI= mac. obj. plural, LE-fem. obj. pl.

Now that we went through all this, let's do the first sentence. I assume the underlined phrase is "un appartamento per i figli Antonio e Gennaro." So, the direct object here is "un appartamento" (WHAT?) and indirect is "per i figli Antonio e Gennaro."(To WHOM? FOR WHOM?).
So, the rewritten phrase would be like this:

I genitori gliel' hanno comprato. (There's an apostrophe because the next word starts in H, witch acts like a vowel; we don't pronounce it)

So, the correct answer is GLIELO. GLIE=per loro (to them, for them) and LO= un appartamento (what; masculine object singular).

I hope this helps.

Feel free to ask  any further question.
In bocca al lupo!

Jelena

Italian Language

Jelena