Italian Language/"reception"

Question
Dear Maria,  

My question is about the Italian word - "reception".

Can you please tell me if the word “reception” is used in Italy to refer to the “reception desk  in a hotel” -  the place where a person pays for his room,  receives the  key for the room, etc.

Can you also please tell me if there is any difference between “reception” and “banco d’accoglienza”.

I was also wondering about the pronunciation of the Italian word  “reception”.   

Can you please tell me if the "i" and the "o"  at the end of "reception" are pronounced as one sound, or if the "i" and the "o" are pronounced as separate sounds in this word.   

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

First of all the  term "reception" is not an  Italian word, but an English noun which is used in Italy just to refer to  “the reception desk  in a hotel”, i.e.  the place where a person pays for his room,  receives the  key for the room, etc.

The  difference between  “reception” and “banco d’accoglienza” is that the English word “reception” is used in Italian  to indicate the desk in a hotel where guests and visitors are greeted, pay for  room and  receive the  key for the room, etc., whereas “banco di accoglienza”, or better  “accettazione”, is used  in Italy to refer to the area in a  hospital, offices  or organization where visitors and customers  are greeted and receive information.
See the following examples:”Sono appena arrivato in albergo e mi trovo alla reception”, “Puoi raggiungermi alla reception dell’albergo?”; “Quando entrerai in ospedale, dovrai andare  all’accettazione e presentare la tua richiesta di ricovero”, “Vicino alla stazione, c’è un centro di prima accoglienza per persone in difficoltà”, “ All’ingresso di quel palazzo di uffici, c’è il banco dell’accettazione dove potrai avere le informazioni necessarie”, etc.

As for the pronunciation of the word  “reception”, it is just pronounced like in English, since it is an English word which has been borrowed from English.
Therefore the "i" and the "o"  at the end of "reception" are pronounced as one sound exactly like in English.

Lastly, I have to tell you that in Italian we have the noun “ricezione” which is used to indicate:

1)the process of receiving broadcast signals and their quality as in “disturbare la ricezione” (to interfere with reception).

2)the way in which a person or group of people reacts to someone or something as in “L’opera ha avuto una buona ricezione presso il pubblico” ( the work was well received by the public).

3)the receipt of goods as in “La ricezione delle merci avvenne nei tempi stabiliti”.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria