Italian Language/translations

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the following sentence:

Mi piace star comoda.
(female person speaking  -   I like to be comfortable.)

Would you please help me with the following questions about this sentence:

(1)  Is “star” considered to be “l’infinito presente attivo” in this sentence?   

(2)  I am thinking that the verb “stare” is used in this sentence (instead of the verb “essere”)  because this sentence is a statement of well being  -  and the verb “stare” (not essere) is used to express well-being as in saying – I  am comfortable, I am well, etc.   Would you please tell me if my reasoning is correct or not.

(3)  Is the final “e” of “stare” commonly dropped?  Thus “star” is commonly used for “stare”.

(4)  Is  “star”   an “apocopation” ?

(5) I have also seen the verb “aver” used for “avere”.  Would you please tell me if the final “e” of “avere” is also commonly dropped, and if “yes” - is this also classified as an “apocopation”?

Thank you very, very much.  Your help with my questions is always very much appreciated!

Very Sincerely,

Rich

P.S.    I am now going outside to prepare the soil for planting blueberry bushes.  Today is going to be a very beautiful (and very hot) day in my part of the country - northern Ohio.  I hope you are also having a very nice day.

Answer
Dear Rich,

here are  my answers to your questions about the sentence “Mi piace star comoda” (female person speaking  -   I like to be comfortable)

(1)  “star” is exactly  a present infinitive, active voice  (in Italian, “infinito presente attivo”).  

(2)  the verb “stare” is just used in this sentence instead of the verb “essere”  because this sentence is a statement of well being  -  and the verb “stare” (not “essere”) is used to express well-being as in saying  "I  am comfortable" (Sto comodo) , "I am well" (Sto bene), etc.  

(3)  the final “e” of “stare”  is  commonly dropped as in “star bene”, “star male”, “star comodo”,  “star attento”, “star a vedere”, etc.  Thus “star” is commonly used for “stare”.

(4)  “star”   is exactly an “apocope”, i.e. “the omission of the final letter of a word”

(5) it is so:  the verb “aver” is used for “avere”, for  the final “e” of “avere” is also commonly dropped, so that  this is also classified as an “apocope” (late Latin, from the Greek  verb “apokóptein” meaning “to cut off “).

Hope this is clear enough.

I’m glad that you are preparing the soil for planting blueberry bushes which I like so much.
Here also, in Chiavari, on the Ligurian Sea, northwest Italy, near Portofino, it is a very beautiful day.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria