Italian Language/use if "in" and use of "trovarsi"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if I have correctly translated the following Italian sentence:

“Sono appena arrivato in albergo e mi trovo alla reception.”
I have just arrived at the hotel and I am located at the reception desk.

Would you also please help me to understand why the simple preposition “in” is used to connect the verb “arrivato” to the noun “albergo” in this sentence.

I am wondering if the noun - “albergo” is one of those certain buildings or common expressions of place that is always used with the simple preposition - “in” to say “in”, “at” or “to” - regardless of the verb.   In the past, I have learned that nouns like   “chiesa”, “ospedale”, and “stazione” are always used with the simple preposition “in” to say “in”, at” or “to” regardless of the verb that is used in the sentence.    Is this also true for “albergo”?  Is “albergo” always used with the simple preposition “in” to say “in”, “at” or “to” regardless of the verb that is used in the sentence?

Would you also please help me to understand the use of the verb “trovarsi” ” in this sentence.  I am trying to determine if “trovarsi” is being used as a reflexive verb or if “trovarsi” is being used as an intransitive pronominal verb.  Since both the reflexive verb “trovarsi” and the intransitive pronominal verb “trovarsi” can be used to say “to be located” and since both  verbs can be  used with the pronominal particle “mi” –  I am  not able to determine  if “trovarsi” is a reflexive verb or if “trovarsi” is an intransitive pronominal verb in this sentence.  Would you  please tell me if “trovarsi” is a reflexive verb, or if “trovarsi” is an intransitive pronominal verb in this sentence?  

Thank you very much for your great help.  As always, I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

I think that the best translation of the  Italian sentence:“Sono appena arrivato in albergo e mi trovo alla reception” would be “I have just arrived at the hotel and I am at the reception desk”, since in this Italian context the verb ”mi trovo” corresponds to “sono”.

As for the simple preposition “in”, it is used to connect the past tense  “sono arrivato” (passato prossimo, in Italian) to the noun “albergo” simply because the intransitive active verb “arrivare” takes this preposition or the preposition “a” to indicate an indirect object of Place to Which.
See e.g.: “Arrivai a casa”, “Arrivammo presto in albergo”, “Arriveremo a Firenze domani”, “Sei arrivata in aeroporto?”, “Sto arrivando ora in ospedale”, “Ti prego di arrivare in chiesa in tempo per la funzione religiosa”, “Il treno arrivň puntuale in stazione”, “Arrivando oggi  in montagna, troverai un tempo splendido”,  etc.

As you can see, the nouns “albergo”, “chiesa”, “ospedale”, “stazione” and others are often used with the simple preposition “in” or “a”  to say “in”, at” or “to”, depending on  the verb that is used in the sentence.

With regard to  the use of the verb “trovarsi” in the above-mentioned  sentence, it  is being used as an intransitive pronominal verb where the pronominal particles “–si”, “-mi”, etc. have no reflexive meaning as in e.g. “vestirsi”  which stands for “vestire se stesso”, since the “-si” stands for “se stesso”.

Lastly,  the intransitive pronominal verb “trovarsi” can be translated  “to be located” only in the sense of “essere situato”, not simply “to be” as in “…mi trovo alla reception”.
See for example “I nostri uffici si trovano/sono situati al secondo piano” (Our offices are located on the second floor).

Best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria