Italian Language/translation

Question
QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if my translation is correct or not:

All’ingresso di quel palazzo di uffici, c’è il banco dell’accettazione dove potrai avere le informazioni necessarie”,
At the entrance of that office building, there is the reception area where you can have the necessary information.

Would you also please help me with the following:

Does “palazzo di uffici” mean “office building”?

Does “banco dell’accettazione” mean “reception area”?

Is the word “accettazione” used by itself (without forming a complemento) to say:  
“reception area”?   In other words,  can one say -  All’ingresso di quel palazzo di uffici, c’è il accettazione dove potrai avere le informazioni necessarie”.  (At the entrance of that office building, there is the reception area where you can have the necessary information.)

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

your translation of "All’ingresso di quel palazzo di uffici, c’è il banco dell’accettazione dove potrai avere le informazioni necessarie” is correct, though you could have said “reception desk“ for “banco dell’accettazione” instead of “reception area” which however is not incorrect.

Anyway, one  could also  say “ All’ingresso di quel palazzo di uffici, c’è l’accettazione dove potrai avere le informazioni necessarie”.

Lastly, please note that  the word “accettazione” is  used  as a “complemento di specificazione” depending on “banco”(desk).

Have a nice Sunday,

Maria

QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Thank you, again, for all of your great help.  Your help is always very, very much appreciated!

I hope you will not mind this follow-up question about the phrase “palazzo di uffici” (office building).

Can you please explain why the preposition “di” is not elided as in saying -  “palazzo d’uffici”.

I was also wondering if there is a difference between “palazzo di uffici” and “Palazzo degli Uffici”.  

Is “palazzo di uffici” a phrase that can be used to refer to any office building?  Is “Palazzo degli Uffici” a specific building?

Thank you very much.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

first of all I have to point out that the expression “palazzo di uffici” is placed in a sentence, i.e. “All’ingresso di quel palazzo di uffici, c’è il banco dell’accettazione dove potrai avere le informazioni necessarie”, where this indirect object does not refer to a specific building, but in general to a building where there are many offices, so that at the entrance of that large building that contains offices there is the reception desk where one can have  information.

Therefore in Italian there is a difference between the generic expression  “palazzo di uffici” such as in the above-mentioned sentence and “Palazzo degli Uffici” which indicates a specific building just named “Palazzo degli Uffici” as a proper noun.
For example, in Firenze the great art museum today called "Galleria degli Uffizi" (Uffizi Gallery) was originally a building of offices begun by Giorgio Vasari in 1560 for Cosimo I dei Medici, the first Grand Duke of Tuscany, so as to accommodate the offices of the Florentine magistrates:hence the old name "Uffizi" corresponding to modern “Uffici”.

To sum up, “palazzo di uffici” can be used to refer to any office building, while  “Palazzo degli Uffici” is a specific building.

Lastly, the preposition “di” is not elided before “uffici” as in saying “palazzo d’uffici” because the elision is not so common with this preposition.
For example, we usually say “vivere d’espedienti” as well as “vivere di espedienti”, but more frequently “l’altezza di un edificio” or “una dozzina di uova” instead of  “l’altezza d’un edificio” or  “una dozzina d’uova” that however are correct.

Have a nice day,

Maria

QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Thank you for your great help.  I am sorry to be so difficult, but I am still not able to understand.  I think it would help me to understand better if you would please answer the following questions.

Is the “Palazzo degli Uffici” another name for the “Galleria degli Uffizi”?  

In other words – is the “Palazzo degli Uffici” and the “Galleria degli Uffizi” the same building?

Or, is the “Galleria degli Uffizi” part of the of the “Palazzo degli Uffici”?  

In other words - is the “Galleria degli Uffizi:” a gallery that is located inside a building named - “Palazzo degli Uffici”?

Also, can you please tell me if the “Palazzo degli Uffici di EUR” is a different building (that just happens to have a similar sounding name) than the “Palazzo degli Uffici”.

Thank for your help and great patience with my inability to understand.  I very much want to understand and very much appreciate your help.

Very Sincerely,  

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1.“Palazzo degli Uffici” is not another name for the “Galleria degli Uffizi”.
2.the “Palazzo degli Uffici” and the “Galleria degli Uffizi” are not the same building.
3.the “Galleria degli Uffizi” is not part of the “Palazzo degli Uffici”.
4.the “Galleria degli Uffizi” is not  a gallery that is located inside a building named “Palazzo degli Uffici” simply because there are no offices here today, whereas in 1560, when this building was begun by order of Cosimo I dei Medici, it was called “Gli Uffizi” (The Offices) to indicate the offices of the Florentine magistrates.
Later however, in 1581, Francesco I dei Medici, Cosimo’s son and the new Grand Duke of Tuscany by then, set up a private Gallery with statues and other precious objects on the top floor of the east wing of the Uffizi, all part of the private family collection of art objects.
Over the centuries the offices  of the Florentine magistrates had been relocated to another building and “Gli Uffizi” became a museum named “Galleria degli Uffizi” and opened to the public in 1769, after the collections of the Medici family had become vaster and vaster, continually enriched by every member of the Medici dynasty until the family died out in the 18th century.

As for the “Palazzo degli Uffici dell’EUR” in Roma, which was built in 1939 on the occasion of the World Exhibition of 1942 (Esposizione Universale di Roma: hence the acronym EUR), it had to be used to accommodate the offices of this World Exhibition which however was eventually cancelled because of the II World War.
Today the “Palazzo degli Uffici dell’EUR” houses the offices of the Eur Spa, i.e. a joint-stock company into a modern business district.

Hope all is clear now.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria