Italian Language/use of: "femmina"

Question
Dear Maria,

Thank you, once again, for your help with my previous question about the adjective/noun "maschio".

Can you please tell me if the feminine noun “femmina” (female) is used in a similar fashion -   Is “femmina” used as an invariable noun when it indicates the gender of an animal which has the same noun for both genders?  

If “yes”, can you please tell me if the following would be correct or not:

una scimmia femmina - a female monkey
due scimme femmina =  two female monkeys

Thank you  

Very Sincerely,
Rich

P.S.  Thank you for the e-male message you sent to me.  We are all praying that more missing people may still be found to be alive and well.

Answer
Dear Rich,

the feminine noun “femmina” (female) is used in a similar fashion as the adjective/ noun  "maschio, so that  “femmina” is used as an invariable noun when it indicates the gender of an animal which has the same noun for both genders, like for example “una scimmia femmina” (a female monkey);“due scimmie femmina” ( two female monkeys);” un castoro femmina”, etc.

All the best,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria