Italian Language/Fiera di Merci e Bestiame

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if I have translated the following sentence correctly:
C’era una fiera di merci e bestiame.
There was a Goods and Livestock Fair.

I am especially wondering if I have chosen the best words to translate -   “fiera di merci e bestiame”.

Can you please tell me the best way to say - “fiera di merci e bestiame” in English?

I looked on-line and saw some u-tube videos of “fiere di merci e bestiame”.  These fairs looked similar to State and County Fairs in America.  But, I am still wondering how best to describe a “fiera di merci e bestiame”.  Is a “fiera di merci e bestiame” similar to a State or County Fair in America?   

(These State or County fairs in America take place annually and showcase all types of livestock, agricultural products, farm goods and machinery, different types of contests such as horseback riding, food, music and some have amusement rides.  A person must purchase an admission ticket to enter the fair grounds for the day.)

These “fiere di merci e bestiame” look like a lot of fun and I would really appreciate knowing more about them.   

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

“C’era una fiera di merci e bestiame” translates correctly as “There was a goods and cattle fair” as well as “There was a goods and livestock fair”.

In Italy these goods and livestock fairs  can take place annually and showcase all types of livestock, agricultural products, farm goods and machinery, food, but not  different types of contests such as horseback riding, music, etc. as in the State or County fairs in America where  person must purchase an admission ticket to enter the fair grounds for the day.

So the Italian “fiere di merci e bestiame” look similar to State and County Fairs in America, but usually they have no contest, music, amusement rides nor admission tickets.

Have a nice afternoon,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria