Italian Language/Translation

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if I have translated the following sentence correctly:

Il contadino stava governando il bestiame.
The farm worker was tending the livestock.

I am unsure about the translation of:   “contadino” and “governare”   

Would you please tell me if I have used the correct sense of these words in the above translation.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

“Il contadino stava governando il bestiame” translates as “The peasant was taking care of  the livestock”.
Please note that the Italian noun “contadino” corresponds to a peasant, i.e. "a person who owns or rents a small piece of land and grows crops, keeps animals, etc. on it", while a farm worker corresponds to an “agricoltore”, i.e. someone who works in an area of land, together with a house and buildings, used for growing crops and/or keeping animals especially as a business.

As for “governare” related to “bestiame”, I think that it’s better to use “to take care of”.

Best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria