Italian Language/translation

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if I have correctly translated the following passage.  Please note that this passage came from my Italian “Garzanti” dictionary.

papero (mn)

oca giovane domestica di sesso maschile; in senso generico o con riferimento alle carni dell’animale macellato, sia il maschio sia la femmina.

papero (mn)
young domesticated goose of masculine sex; in general sense or with reference to the meat of the butchered animal, both male and female.

Would you also please tell me if the term “papero” is ever used to refer to a “duck”.  

I ask this question because the current application that I am using to study Italian vocabulary shows a picture of a “duck” that is identified as being    a “papero”.  But, as shown above, my dictionary defines a “papero” as a “young goose”.

Once again, thank you very much.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the masculine noun “papero”  is used to indicate a young domesticated goose of masculine sex, but it is out of the ordinary  to use “papero” with reference to the meat of the butchered animal, both male and female.

As for the term “papero” used to refer to a “duck” in a picture of a “duck” that is identified as being a “papero”, I think that this can derive from the fact that in Italian we call “Paperino” (literally, "piccolo papero") a Walt Disney cartoon character  named “Donald Duck”.

So, it is correct that your dictionary defines a “papero” as a “young goose”, since in Italian we do not use "papero" to say "duck", but the feminine noun “anatra” just meaning “duck”, i.e. a bird that lives by water and has webbed feet, a short neck, and a large beak.

See for example:” Mi piace molto l’anatra  all’arancia” (I really like the duck with orange sauce) where “anatra” refers to the meat of this bird; “Nel laghetto  c’erano molte anatre” (There were many ducks in the pond) where the plural “anatre” refers to the waterbird.

To sum up, the masculine noun "papero" translated as  "young goose of masculine sex", while the feminine noun "anatra" translates as "duck".

Best regards,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria