Italian Language/translation / use of "minuto" e "grosso"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if I have correctly translated the following sentence:

Il bestiame minuto comprende capre, pecore, maiali, polli, mentre il bestiame grosso è formato da buoi, mucche, cavalli, asini, muli.
The tiny livestock consists of goats, sheep, pigs, chickens, while the big livestock is comprised of oxen, cows, horses, donkeys, mules.

I am especially wondering about the use of the adjectives - “minuto” and “grosso” to mean - “tiny” and “big” respectively.   Can you please tell me if my translation as of “minuto” and “grosso” as “tiny” and “big” is correct.

I was also wondering if it would be acceptable to use the adjectives – “piccolo” and “grande” instead of “minuto” and “grosso” and say:

"Il piccolo bestiame comprende capre, pecore, maiali, polli, mentre il bestiame grande è formato da buoi, mucche, cavalli, asini, muli.”
The small livestock consists of goats, sheep, pigs, chickens, while the big livestock is comprised of oxen, cows, horses, donkeys, mules.

Would you mind also telling me if there is any special reason why one would use the adjectives “minuto” and “grosso” instead of “piccolo” and “grande”

Once again, thank you so very much.  I so much appreciate your help with these questions.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

I think that you should have said “The smaller  livestock…” and  “the heavy livestock …” to translate “Il bestiame minuto” and “il bestiame grosso” instead of “the tiny livestock” and “the big livestock” respectively.

As for the adjectives – “piccolo” and “grande” instead of “minuto” and “grosso” and then  say:"Il piccolo bestiame comprende …. mentre il bestiame grande è formato da…”, I have to tell you that this use of “piccolo” and “grande” with “bestiame” sounds quite strange in Italian where we say “minuto” and “grosso” when these adjectives refer to the noun “bestiame”

That being stated , I must point out that  my knowledge of English  is not so in-depth as to be sure of the nuances of this language regarding the translation of “minuto” and “grosso” with “bestiame”, whereas I’m absolutely sure that we do not say “bestiame piccolo” and “bestiame grande”.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria