Italian Language/use of

Question
QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Can you please tell me if the Italian word “bestiame” (cattle, livestock) is an Italian non-count noun.

Can you also please tell me if the plural form of this word – “bestiami” is ever used in Italian.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

the Italian word “bestiame” (cattle, livestock) is a count noun as it can form a plural, i.e "bestiami" as in e.g. "I proprietari dei bestiami di quella zona devono farne denuncia alle autorità competenti".
So, though the singular “bestiame” is more common, we can also  use its plural.

Best,

Maria

QUESTION: Dear Maria,  

Would you please help me to make sure that I have both translated and have correctly understood the following sentence:

I proprietari dei bestiami di quella zona devono farne denuncia alle autorità competenti".

I am thinking that the correct translation is:
The livestock owners of that area must make notification to the relevant authorities.

But, I know that I am very poor in my Italian and I would therefore greatly appreciate if you would correct any of my mistakes.

Would I be correct to think that the pronominal particle “ne” is included in this sentence to ensure that the reader’s understands that the notification is about the “livestock” and that a more literal translation might be:

The livestock owners of that area must make notification of them to the relevant authorities.   
(where “ne” (of them) is referring to the livestock)

Thank you very much.  I really enjoyed my attempt to translate and understand this sentence.  The use of “ne” is still difficult for me, but I enjoy trying to understand how and why it is used in Italian sentences.

Would you mind giving me a few more Italian sentences that demonstrate the use of “bestiame” as a non-count noun.

I hope all is well with you and that you are enjoying the afternoon.

Take Care,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

you have correctly understood and translated the sentence “I proprietari dei bestiami di quella zona devono farne denuncia alle autorità competenti"(The livestock owners of that area must make notification to the relevant authorities).

Also, it is  correct to think that the pronominal particle “ne” is included in this sentence to ensure that everyone can understand that the notification is about the “livestock” and that a more literal translation might be:”The livestock owners of that area must make notification of them to the relevant authorities"(where “ne” (of them) is referring to the livestock).

I do know that the use of the pronominal particle “ne” is difficult for you, but I have to say that you have correctly understood and translated the sentence in question.

As for a few more Italian sentences that demonstrate the use of “bestiame” as a non-count noun or better a collective noun, i.e. a noun that describes a group of things, animals or people as a unit, here they are:
“Il bestiame era stato tutto radunato  nel prato antistante la fattoria”; “Ovunque si vedeva pascolare il bestiame”; “Il bestiame si trova all’interno di un recinto”; “C’era una fiera di merci e bestiame”; “Il contadino stava governando il bestiame”; "Il bestiame minuto comprende capre, pecore, maiali, polli, mentre il bestiame grosso è formato da buoi, mucche, cavalli, asini, muli”.
Enjoy translating all these sentences!

Have a nice Sunday,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria