Italy/Venice and out-islands

Question
My husband and I are visitng Italy next Spring and will be in Venice for 4 nites in very early May. We have our hotel in the Castello area and will be ariving by train. Which of the out islands would you recommend for a day trip...we love history/culture/local food and are NOT much for shopping. We LOVE being on the water traveling on local transport. Any tips about Venice city walking tours??
THANK YOU!!!

Answer
Sounds like a wonderful trip!  The Castello area is one of the most authentic parts of Venice and you will find it fairly easy to access local transport and the outlying islands from there.  The islands of Burano and Torcello are both beautiful spots with fascinating history and less of a focus on shopping.  (Though all of Venice is certainly steeped in history!)  Burano has, in my opinion, some of the best seafood restaurants in Venice and the brightly colored houses are just beautiful.  From there, you can move easily to Torcello by boat and see the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta which has some amazing Byzantine mosaics among it's treasures.  

I'm sure that your hotel with suggest that you visit the island of Murano, where the glass furnaces are.  Murano is the epicenter of the oldest Venetian art and has a great glass museum as well as many opportunities to observe glass blowing in progress.  However, visiting Murano can feel very much like a shopping trip as there are just so many storefronts!  If your taste is to be more relaxed and observe life and history, I would start with Burano and Torcello, saving Murano for last.

For walking tours, especially if you're really interested in local culture and history, I suggest looking at the website www.knowingvenice.com and trying to book a few hours with Giuseppina Giudice.  Giuseppina is one of the most knowledgeable tour guides in Venice and can offer you a private tour tailored to your interests.

I hope this is helpful to you.  Enjoy your trip!

Marjorie  

Italy

Marjorie Sterne