Italy/Dream vacation

Hi John
My dream is to go to Italy. We live in upstate NY and I would love to see the amalfi coast, capri, Florence, Rome and Venice. I realize that I am probably not going to see all of Italy in one trip that I can afford. I love scenery and swimming. I want to stay somewhere on the cliffs and have the ocean beneath me. I love snorkeling but don't know if that is something that would be possible. I know my list is vast but if you could come up with an idea for me I would sooooo appreciate it. I was thinking 10 days or less. What about a driver? My husband, son, daughter in law and two grandchildren ages 7 and 9 will be going. Also God forbid what if one of us needed medical care while we were there? Is there good medical care in Italy? Do I need to learn to speak Italian? I know about two sentences. Oh and to boot I have food allergies. I can't have anything cooked by sea food or peanunts or nuts.Will that be a problem? Thanks!!

Hi Linda,

Where in Upstate NY do you live? The biggest mistake that so many people make is trying to see too many places in one trip and in too little time. That's very understandable if you do not get to Italy very often. But what happens is that you do not spend enough time anywhere to see experience and absorb anything. and you waste too much time traveling from one location to another. When in Italy less is more. Every where on your wish list is absolutely wonderful, But I will start of by saying that Florence and Venice is a separate trip.
    I will recommend that for just ten days it would be really nice to experience a major city, and then a small more rustic town. That way you will experience the variety that Italy has to offer. I strongly recommend Rome and the Amalfi Coast, and we can add Capri to that itinerary as well. This is how I feel it should flow:
    Land in Rome. Have a van with a driver pick you up at the airport and drive you directly to Ravello. Spend five or six nights along the Amalfi Coast and then return to Rome where you will spend the remainder of your time before flying home. Spending time in Rome should be at the end of the trip because after flying to Italy for a good eight hours or more it will be nice to relax while some one else is driving. You can have the driver stop somewhere along the autostrada for a snack. That in itself will be fun for your family. You can watch the countryside pass by and get that first glance of Italy. Tell the driver to take the route through the mountains and not along the Coast (you will see the coast during your visit). You can be checked into your hotel in time to enjoy a delicious lunch in Ravello. And then when you fly home from Italy you will not want to travel to Rome and then fly home in the same day. So visit Rome for a few days and then you can get to the airport at a relaxed pace on your last day.
    While in Ravello you can take a day trip by hydrofoil to Capri.
    These two destinations can provide you with a fantastic and well-paced trip. There is so very much to see and do at both places. Rome is many-faceted and Ravello is the ideal location from which to explore the Amalfi Coast.
    "Somewhere on the cliffs and the ocean beneath me"..............well, that is Ravello. It as a mountaintop town overlooking the coast with the town of Amalfi below. This is my very favorite location in all of Italy And Ravello is by far the most special location..........for so many reasons.
    I know Rome very well and Ravello and the area even more so.
    Once you decide on an itinerary I can continue to be very helpful with everything regarding the planning of and enjoyment of your trip.
    I have some information that I will forward to you if you would provide me with your e-mail. I know you will find that very helpful with processing what I have recommended.
    Please feel free to phone or e-mail me with any questions at all.
    Dealing with food allergies should not be a problem at all. It is always fun to try to communicate in Italian, but certainly not necessary. English is so widely used these days.
    There is plenty of medical care available in Rome. And in Ravello the people there will help you and guide you with any needs that may arise.
    I will be eagerly waiting to hear from you.

Happy planning,
         John Galietti

John Galietti

The Amalfi Coast is my passion and area of expertise. I am very familiar with the history of the region. I can discuss accomodations in many of the towns along the coast. None of my passions are greater than that of food. I can be of great help with the food and restaurants of this coast. I believe that I have a total understanding of how to travel and get around when visiting this area.....something that can be quite helpful.

I have experienced many extended visits to this area during the past 27 years. My wife and I were married there before it was a popular thing to do with Americans. In addition to the wedding trip there have been anniversary trips which have each included more that two dozen travelers and numerous visits usually for a period of about three weeks with just my wife. I am constantly arranging trips to this area for clients of my business in New York City. I have explored the back roads and small towns in the mountains.

I am a member of the Professional Beauty Association (PBA) and the former The Salon Association where my involvement icluded 12 years of participating as a board director. Today I participate with and chair a few of the association's committees.

My writing has appeared in Salon Today, American Salon and Modern Salon.

I studied architecture and worked in the field for many years, which included design work, model building and fieldwork. I graduated from Brooklyn Tech in 1969.

Recognized for my years of volunteering time to PBA as a board member, Community Builder of the Year, and the salon that my wife and I own was recognized by the industry as one of the fastest growing salons in North America for three consecutuive years.

As a model builder I worked for many very prestigeous architects including Philip Johnson, Richard Meyer, Peter Eisenman, Frank William's (who does most of Trump's work)and Charles Gwathmy. When I was involved with residential work clients included Jane Pauly and Gary Trudeau, Sam Waters (the art dealer, Frank Mori (from the fashoin industry) and Karl Von Der Hyden (of Nabisco and Pepsi). Since being involved with the beauty industry our clients have included Donna Hanover, Felicity Huffman, Willy DeVille, Uma Thurman and many writers artista and producers.