Italy/Lucca Buses

Question
My wife and I have been to Italy a number of times, but this time we are only using buses and trains. We will be staying in Lucca for 4 weeks and would want to travel out of town to visit other towns/cities. While we can track down the train timetables it seems a tough job to locate bus timetables in/out of the 'old' town. We will of course be walking the 'old' town, but to get to other places we would want to try to use the buses (and trains). Can you assist please?

Answer
Hello Denis,

I know it's confusing trying to plan bus travel in Lucca from abroad.  The websites are not always fully translated.  But there are lots of buses and very good service in the region.  You will certainly be able to use the busses to travel throughout Tuscany from Lucca, even to the smallest villages.  The busses from Lucca are operated by CLAP SPA and Viabus.  All of the busses leave from Piazzale Verdi.  The most important thing to remember when doing day trips by bus from Lucca is that bus service stops at 8pm.

There is a map of the bus routes available here:  http://www.vaibus.com/pdf/rete/rete_extraurbana.pdf

The timetables are available here:  http://www.vaibus.com/pdf/orari/EXTRAURB_001.pdf  (Unfortunately you will have to pass through the first few pages to see them.)

I hope that this is helpful to you and that you and your wife will enjoy your travels!

Sincerely,

Marjorie Sterne

Italy

Marjorie Sterne