Italy/venice motoscavi taxis

Question
Dear Ms Sterne,

We will be in Venice just after Easter, staying at the Hotel Ala, and wanted to know if booking Motoscavi from the U.S. to take us to the airport from the hotel is a wise idea.  The hotel has told us the charge would be E150 if we booked through them, but only E100 if I booked directly myself.  Also, how long of a boat ride is it and how long of a walk from the dock to the airport?  In the U.S. we are told to be at the airport 2 hours before scheduled flight.  Is this true in Italy as well?

Thank you so much.
Dorothy Bianchi

Answer
Hello Dorothy,

Spring is the perfect time to visit Venezia!  The taxi from the airport will take a little over an hour to reach your hotel and it is a wonderful way to enter Venice and see the entire lagoon!

To answer your questions: Yes, it is safe to book the Motoscafi water taxi online before you go.  They are reliable and the standard price is 100 Euro.  There is also a Motoscafi information desk inside the airport where you can confirm your taxi. The walk to the dock will take about 15 minutes from inside the terminal.

Was your hotel offering to arrange the taxi in one direction for 150 euros?  Or would that be for a round-trip transfer?  You may want to check on that with the hotel.  If it is round-trip you would be better off to book through them.  Although you will also want to ask them if that is for a private taxi, or if you would be sharing with other guests.

And finally, yes, you should arrive at the airport two hours before an international flight, or one hour before a flight within the EU.  

I hope this information helps and that you'll have a wonderful time in Venezia!

Sincerely,

Marjorie Sterne

Italy

Marjorie Sterne