Italy/Amalfi Coast Villages

Question
QUESTION: Hi John - I've been reading your Q&A's and would like your expertise on deciding which village to stay in May.  Though Ravello sounds beautiful, it sounds like there's no beach and more low key than maybe Amalfi?  We are in our mid 30's so we want something a little lively, but not college crazy.  Love the sun, so we want something with access to the water (pool/beach) and would like to have shopping and restaurants within easy walking distance.  Is Positano a good blend?  I would like to stay in one place for entire week we are there, maybe take day trips.  I welcome your recommendations and any further information you may have.  Thank you for your time.  Lisa

ANSWER: Lisa,

Minori is a small very charming and authentic beach town. Very charming and very intimate. I feel that a week there is a very special experience. Stay at Hotel Roma. A lovely family-run and very comfortable place. Right down the mountain from Ravello. You could even walk.

Positano is a pretty town. It is full of Americans and very very touristy. The lower part closer to the beach is full of boutiques. Nice restaurants and plenty of places to stay. You are probably more about the beach than my wife and I, but I always prefer the more authentic environment. I always refer to Positano as a day trip with a nice lunch at the beach.

I still say that the most amazing experience is a week at Ravello. It is simply amazing and the beaches are right at the bottom of the mountain. Whatever you decide to do seriously consider spending a good deal of time up there.

Do not hesitate to get back to me with any further questions. If you are interested and would provide me with your e-mail address I would be glad to send you all of the information that I have in my computer about the Amalfi Coast.

Do not waste any time in Sorrento.

I would love to hear about your trip upon your return.

Ciao for now,

John

QUESTION: Thank you so much!  I will check into Minori.  What do you think of the village of Amalfi?

my e-mail is

Thanks again - Lisa

ANSWER: I LOVE Amalfi!! Actually that might be a great location for you. It is right around the bend from Minori and down the mountain from Ravello. It is midway along the coast. Even though it is much visited it has retained it's local identity. It has great character. We really enjoy it. Amalfi is the transportation hub of the coast and you can get the hydrofoil to Capri at the pier. If you decide to stay there I have some good tips for you.

QUESTION: Great! Amalfi it is. I found a great apartment there. The plan is to fly into Venice for 2 nights then take easy jet to Naples to send a week or so in Amalfi.  Sound good?  I'm just trying to work out the transfers so I could use some suggestions there. I don't want to spend a ton on a private car, so any public transport info would be appreciated...along with your tips!

Answer
Lisa,

To add to what I have already shared.........
The town of Amalfi has a lot of action and energy. The transportation center for the coast is located there. Very authentic and very convenient.
Ravello is the most special and memorable Amalfi Coast experience. If you were to stay there please reach out to me and I will send you a good deal of information.
Positano is a beautiful town. In my opinion it is all about the tourist industry. Many people like it. Vacation destinations are a personal thing. Most Americans visit the Amalfi Coast but never really get to see or experience the true depth of it's beauty, culture and the people.

Italy

John Galietti