Italy/train travel

I have been trying to buy tickets for train travel between Venice or Trieste to Ljubljana, Slovenia which we have done many times before.  This time they want to route us up to Villach, Austria which will take many hours.  Is there a problem at the border?

Thank you so much,

Hello Dorothy,

I am afraid I have no information, past or present about how to purchase rail tickets for travel between Venice and or Trieste to Ljubljana in Slovenia. I suggest you do more research using Tren Italia's own website:

And if you do not have any satisfaction there I would contact the nearest Italian embassy to you and ask them the same question. Because of the recent large movement of migrants across that part of Europe from places like Hungary there may be some "real" train interruptions.

I'm sorry I cannot be of more service to you.

Peter Kilby

Peter Kilby

Can answer questions on general travel in Italy (in particular in Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Umbria and Venice) with a focus on history, art and museums.

I have lived in Italy for 25 years and I'm currently living in southern Tuscany. I have worked in tourism in Italy for 20 years and in that time I've created a reputation that is highly regarded in the USA, Australia and NZ. I've also created: and and I'm currently working on new iPhone apps, beginning with locations in Florence.

Organizations These days I write exclusively for this website.

The Hearld Sun and The Age newspapers in Australia. Enzine and GoArticles on the internet. British Heritage magazine out of the UK and the USA.

Australian College degrees in Fine Arts (Painting), Journalism and History.

1987 - Italian Government Scholarship to study Painting at the Rome Academy.

I have dedicated the last 2 years of my life in developing and improving: