Italy/rome airport

We are flying into Leonardo Da Vinci Airport and wonder where do we board the train traveling to Rome's Main Termini? Is it better to get the tickets here in the US or get them there?

Thank you,

Hello Dottie,

It is a short walk from Arrivals (up an escalator however) to get to the Rome Airport train station that has regular trains (also non-stop) to Stazione Termini - Rome's central railway station. I used that train in January - Express train (14 per person). The Leonardo Express train is a non-stop service between FCO and Rome Termini (the main station). Trains depart every half hour from 6:23 to 23:23, and the trip takes 32 min. It is the most popular way to transit to central Rome so can get very busy.

There is now a fixed rate taxi ride from Rome's airport FCO to the city and if your hotel is located in the city I really believe this is the better option. Door to door and those trains can be packed and with luggage can prove very uncomfortable - Taxi (48 per taxi). The fixed fare for a Rome taxi is 48 between FCO and central Rome (within the Aurelian walls) for up to four people and their luggage. The trip takes approximately 45 minutes to most parts of this central area. If your hotel is outside this area, you will have to pay whatever is on the meter.

I hope I have been of some help to you Dottie. Don't forget to check out my where I've posted a lot of information on Rome among other locations in Italy.

Peter Kilby

Mobile: (39) 338 7606874 Home: (39) 0578 717487

Peter Kilby

Can answer questions on general travel in Italy (in particular in Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Umbria and Venice) with a focus on history, art and museums.

I have lived in Italy for 25 years and I'm currently living in southern Tuscany. I have worked in tourism in Italy for 20 years and in that time I've created a reputation that is highly regarded in the USA, Australia and NZ. I've also created: and and I'm currently working on new iPhone apps, beginning with locations in Florence.

Organizations These days I write exclusively for this website.

The Hearld Sun and The Age newspapers in Australia. Enzine and GoArticles on the internet. British Heritage magazine out of the UK and the USA.

Australian College degrees in Fine Arts (Painting), Journalism and History.

1987 - Italian Government Scholarship to study Painting at the Rome Academy.

I have dedicated the last 2 years of my life in developing and improving: